Here is an interview with Lonny Orgler from Spiel Essen in 2019. We are happy to put it out right now, when the kickstarter with his new game 1840, is running.
What is your main job? I heard that you are a teacher?
– I’m a teacher for a special education, I teach very handicapped children.
So creating 18xx games is your hobby rather?
– Yes, it really is. I’m doing this in my spare time.
How do you get an idea about a new game? Like the new 1840?
– I’m reading historical sources, like wikipedia or some others, and I’m trying to place the game around history.
What is the most challenging thing in game designing? What takes the most time?
– The most complicated thing is to make a game that works, for instance in 18xx games the train mix is very important. One train more or one less, it can ruin the game because the it goes too fast or too slowly, so this is the most challenging thing.
But about the 18CZ you said the game was tested only a few times.
– Really? I don’t remember, but I have a lot of experience with 18xx games and I can see what is missing or what is too much in the game.
How many prints of 18CZ were already completed?
– We have just made another print of 500 copies, which makes all together 2000 copies.
I heard about the new print of 1880 China, is it true, will it be released soon?
– Yes, it will be released next year, by a game company, but I am not sure if I’m allowed to talk about it.
But have you already signed a contract?
– Yes, it will be a reprint, I don’t know when it will be finished, but they are already working on a graphic design.
Another of your games, 1848, will be reprinted by GMT soon, will it be the same game as in the last release?
– Yes, I think so, but I don’t have any influence on that game, because Helmut Ohley and me shared our games and I’m responsible for 1844 and he is responsible for 1848.
How did you find time to combine your work with publishing games?
– I have two small children right now, and lately I have had less time so I’m not so productive, few years before I had a plenty of time, it was a lazy period, but now in the evening I have only two hours to sit down and develop games and during the weekend we also have meetings to test games in Vienna (Austria).
And how old are your children?
– 3 and 6 years old, a girl and a boy, and children require them to spend a lot of time
What do you think about the crazy mechanics when it moves 18xx game to space or ancient times?
– I have Poseidon, I played Ur 1830 BC. But I don’t have plans to make a space 18xx game, because I’m not a sci-fi fan, I’m realistic, a fan of reality and a real history.
Could you tell us something about the new game 1840?
– We want to start a Kickstarter campaign in February 2020 and it is about Veinna and tramways. Each player has a mother company which can run up to 3 lines and the lines build track from which the tram gives income, which goes to the mother company and during the special round the other companies give income or withhold it.
How long does it take?
– usually 3-4 hours. Its time is similar to 18CZ. You can play with 3 to 6 players, but I don’t recommend it to 6 players. There will be also an option for 2 players.
Thank you very much.